According to the Federal Bureau of Investigations Uniform Crime Report there were an estimated 721,053 thefts of motor vehicles nationwide in 2012; totaling 4.3 billion dollars in losses. The following proactive tips are provided to assist with the prevention of auto thefts.
- Turn your car off. Never leave your car running and unattended. Vehicles are commonly stolen at ATM’s, convenience stores, etc.
- Lock it up. Lock your vehicle, roll up the windows, close the sunroof and make sure you take the keys with you. If you have a garage, use it. When your vehicle is parked in the garage roll the windows up and lock it.
- If your vehicle has an alarm or an anti-theft device, use it.
- Hide your valuables. Items of value that are left in plain view attract thieves.
- Don’t hide keys. Thieves know where to look, so please don’t hide keys in or on your vehicle.
- Park in well-lit areas with plenty of pedestrian traffic, or when possible, in attendant lots. If you have to leave a key with the attendant/valet, leave only the ignition and door key.
- Consider installing a GPS tracking system. When your car is stolen, this tracking system will emit a signal to the Police of your vehicle’s location. This may help the Police recover your vehicle faster and may minimize the damage to your car.
- The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NCIB) recommends a “Layered” system of protection and a brochure outlining the “Layers” of protection can be accessed and downloaded from the NCIB website. The attached link is provided in regard to the brochures; https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/brochures
Should you have any questions about the tips listed above, please feel free to contact any member of the Flagler Beach Police Department so we can assist in preventing you from becoming a victim of auto theft.