New Year’s Eve Safety Tips 2015
This year’s winter holiday season is nearly over and the Flagler Beach Police Department is looking forward to our community enjoying a safe and enjoyable New Year’s Eve. Please take note of the following safety tips, celebrate responsibly and we look forward to protecting and serving our community in 2015.
If you are hosting a New Year’s Eve party, following a few simple rules could prevent a tragedy:
- Plan ahead by naming a “designated driver.” Make this your responsibility as the host.
- Contact a local cab company to provide rides for your guests.
- Serve non-alcoholic beverages as an option to your guests.
- Stop serving alcohol to your guests several hours before the party ends.
- Provide your guests with a place to stay overnight in your home.
If you are attending New Year’s Eve parties and celebrations:
- If you drink, don’t drive.
- Plan ahead and always designate a sober driver before the party or celebration begins.
- If you are impaired, call a taxi, get a sober friend or family member to come pick you up, or stay where you are until you are sober.
- Take the keys from someone if you think he/she is too impaired to drive.
- While it’s fun to share where you are on social media sites, beware of doing so, as you are publicly alerting others that you are not at home.
- Do not leave drinks unattended. Finish it before you hit the restroom or dance floor.
- If you’re attending a large party where there are crowds, travel with a group or in pairs.
- Make sure everyone has a “buddy” who can confirm they got home safely at the end of the night.