Winter Holiday Safety Tips
The winter holiday season is a special time of year and the following safety tips are provided in an effort to make this the safest season possible. We can never be too careful, too prepared or too aware; so please share this information with family, friends and neighbors. The Flagler Beach Police Department wishes everyone a safe, happy and peaceful holiday season.
Holiday Shopping Tips
- Do not leave packages or valuables on the seat of your car. This creates a temptation for thieves. If you must leave something in the car, lock it in the trunk or put it out of sight.
- If you must shop at night, park in a well-lighted area. Consider shopping with a friend or family member rather than going alone.
- Make sure purses and wallets are secure on your person and you are aware of their location at all times.
- If you must use an ATM, choose one (1) that is located in a store, mall, or well-lighted location. Withdraw only the amount of cash you need.
- Credit cards offer convenience and security, however, keep track of all cards and keep receipts to compare to your monthly statement.
- Have keys ready before getting to your car so you do not have to search for them while walking to or standing near it.
- Report any suspicious persons or activity to Law Enforcement immediately!
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason, especially in parking lots. At this time of year, “con-artists” may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
Home Safety Tips
- Valuable items, such as televisions, stereos, and computers should be inscribed with an identifying number unique to its owner (do not use your entire social security number).
- Create an up-to-date home inventory including make, model, serial numbers, other detailed descriptions, and photographs of items of value (including jewelry). This inventory should be kept somewhere safe, out of the house.
- It is not uncommon for criminals to take advantage of the generosity of people during the holiday season by soliciting donations door-to-door for charitable causes although no charity is involved. Donate to a recognized charitable organization.
- The motion detector or other alarm system (if you have one) should be activated when you leave home.
- Mail and newspaper deliveries should be stopped or arrangements for a neighbor/friend to pick them up should be made when you are away from home for a period of time.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to watch your home when you are away or have a trusted friend or relative house sit in your absence.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked when you leave, even if you have an alarm system.
- Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
- Contact the Flagler Beach Police Department (386) 517-2023 to request “House Watch” checks of your residence while you are out of town.
Hosting a Party
- Have non-alcoholic beverages available for party guests.
- Find alternative transportation for intoxicated guests.
- Arrange for an official designated driver for your party who will not drink alcoholic beverages.
- Don’t drink and drive.