The New Year is upon us and as we move into 2 015 there remains a criminal element within our society that’s always looking to commit “crimes of opportunity”. One of if not the most popular “crime of opportunity” is the burglary to an unlocked vehicle. The unlawful entering into unlocked vehicles can (and do) occur in places where there is a large concentration of vehicles, such as shopping plaza’s, churches and restaurants and can also occur to a single vehicle parked in the driveway of a residential street.
Here are some proactive tips which will hopefully keep you from becoming a victim.
- Do not leave anything of value in plain sight within your vehicle. Hide valuables in the truck or under the seats.
- Always lock your car doors! If your vehicle is unlocked while parked in your driveway, unlocked at the mall or unlocked at a convenience store, it’s vulnerable. Leaving your vehicle unlocked makes it convenient for the burglar!
- Park in well lighted areas.
- When shopping, always make sure to place purchases in the trunk and out of sight before going to the next shopping area to park.
- Try to maintain a “clutter free” vehicle.
- Remove GPS systems from view when leaving vehicle.
These tips are provided in an effort to prevent crime and assist us in making Flagler Beach a safer place to live, work and visit. Please remember to “Hide it,Lock it or be prepared to lose it”.
If you have any questions about the aforementioned information, please feel free to contact Captain Doughney or any member of the Flagler Beach Police Department for assistance.